Something unusual happened at Books-A-Million today. No, the coffee wasn’t above room temperature, it was something else. When I walked in I noticed an elderly man sitting at a table with a red bow on top of his head. He was looking right at me as if waiting for a reaction, so being me, I didn’t give him one. (You’ll have to do better than that gramps, I work in a public library.)
I began to browse, and was just opening Amy Sedaris’s new book when the old man appeared next to me sans bow and asked if my name was Diane. It became clear that he was waiting for a blind date. I was a little surprised that a woman my age would agree to meet with someone old enough to be her father, but I guess anything’s possible. My friend arrived and we talked over coffee for awhile and eventually Diane arrived. Diane was at least 60. WTF??? She was tall and blonde like me, but she was 60+! I’d like to think I look more like Uma Thurman than Strom Thurmond or at least Anne Heche instead of Ann Miller. I was wearing Old Navy low-rise jeans for God’s sake.
My friend told me to put it out of my mind and suggested that maybe age was not discussed prior to their meeting. Yeah, because men don't really care about things like that . . .
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Congratulations. Move along.
Post a Comment