Yesterday, in the tradition of busy library professionals like us, JazzHands and I were researching the history and making of sock monkeys. I adore the sock monkey and I'm glad this retro toy is making a comeback. Check out this site for unique sock monkeys for unique people: http://www.sockit2me.com/
I remarked quite loudly at the reference desk that “the chef monkey would be the perfect monkey for the kitchen.” We both agreed that I might be the only person in the world who had said those words out loud, at least for a 24 hour period.
It used to be that you couldn’t just buy sock monkeys--they had to be made by hand by people who thought the world of you. Mine was given to me by our neighbor, Mrs. Swift (who ironically moved quite slow) back in the late 60s. Mrs. Swift also gave me a green lacquered straw handbag for Easter, and she had Barcelona lounge chairs in her house http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_chair
It’s no wonder I liked her better than our neighbor Mrs. Kelly who gave the kids boxes of raisins for Halloween. Raisins are NOT candy.
A few years ago Tater and I were shopping in a Cracker Barrel gift shop (because that's how we roll) when I spotted what I thought was a sock monkey, but when I turned it around I discovered it was actually a sock elephant. I didn't care for that at all.
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think maybe you need this:
http://www.hazelandmelvin.com/products/sock-monkeys/wearable-art/sock-monkey-dress
This is kind of just wrong:
http://www.hazelandmelvin.com/products/sock-monkeys/conjoined
Post a Comment