Friday, January 26, 2007

appointment

Today I took my 87 year old father to the doctor. He had a 3:00 appointment, but the doctor did not see him until 4:19. By that time, Dad had become quite vocal, and we were lucky not to get bounced out like that crybaby on Air Tran. And then a nurse practitioner told me I looked like I needed some Boost which is a high calorie nutritional supplement. Yeah, I’m skinny; deal with it. This woman looks like Ted Koppel, but I had no problem keeping that to myself. JazzHands says, “I think Miss Manners would say that as a society we are far too familiar with each other, that we feel we can say whatever we want to anyone.”
I’m just the opposite: in the waiting room, rather than tell my mom she needed a breath mint, I discreetly handed her one thinking she’d take the hint. Instead she bellowed, “IS IT BAD? I DIDN’T GET A CHANCE TO BRUSH MY TEETH BEFORE WE LEFT,” while I slumped down in my chair. Then she proceeded to make some kind of goldfish-like facial maneuver to test it herself. Mom’s never been the self-conscious type.

No comments: