Friday, March 23, 2007

plumbing

I had to call a plumber for the first time since I moved into my house. For some reason when I flush the toilet, water is shooting straight up in the tank. If it was shooting straight up in the bowl, I could just tell people it's one of those fancy BEE-days. But instead it hits the top of the tank and sprays out on the wall, or more recently, in the center of my forehead as I assured myself I didn't need a man to fix this.

To choose a plumber, I checked the list of preferred businesses on my county’s chamber of commerce web site because I’m a librarian and that’s how we do things. I also know that the business owner is licensed, has no complaints on file, and what his property taxes are.
I expect to pay $85 for this. This estimate is based solely on a gut feeling.

Now I have the undesirable task of cleaning the house before he gets here Monday. I suppose I could just clean the bathroom and have him crawl in through the window, but this is a small town and people talk about me enough.

And speaking of talk: Sister and I were accused of “bulldozing” someone at work during a meeting, forcing her to bend to our will. This was not the case at all and we felt hurt and resentful. There is nothing bulldozer-ish about either one of us.
In fact, If I had to be compared to a piece of construction equipment, it would be some kind of crane . . .

No comments: