Recently I sustained an embarrassing injury at work. The injury itself wasn’t embarrassing, the fact that it happened in a library while I was straightening books that had fallen to one side was. Work related injuries are handled by Worker’s Comp, meaning I had to go to a special clinic which at any given time may have a construction worker sitting in the waiting room with a nail in his chin or a partially crushed foot. It would feel like I was standing in line at Home Depot with one of these http://www.apropergarden.com/i/flwrcan_det.jpg
The receptionist asked if something had fallen on me. Maybe she was picturing rows and rows of shelves toppling like dominoes. Who knows…..
Nobody in the waiting room seemed too mangled. There was a DVD of America’s Funniest Home Videos playing on the TV to keep us entertained. Some laughed and mocked the unfortunate folks caught on tape. "What kind if idiot falls off of a…..oh yeah, that’s why I’m here.”
After a series of x-rays and several explanations from me that the 700s are full of very heavy books, it was determined that I had a sprained shoulder. I was given 3 prescriptions including a habit forming pain killer. (I’m a librarian; did they think I wouldn’t look that up on Medlineplus.gov??) I did not fill any of them. I told them I want to work in a library, not end up living outside of one.
I believe I’m better now. I went for a follow-up appointment and was able to twist, turn, and bend the way I always have. I received a form in the mail yesterday that said “You have been assigned a permanent impairment rating of 0% to the whole body as of December 10th.” That is funny on several levels and I’ll let you make up your own jokes.
Monday, December 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment