Sunday, December 23, 2007

Go fly a kite.

While I was at the reference desk I heard my coworker say something like “Awesome . . . Mr. Yuck.” The awesome alone wouldn’t ordinarily get my attention because she’s still in her 20s, so virtually anything could be described as awesome. What I wanted to know was what or who is Mr. Yuk. Apparently it’s a cartoon to warn children about things that are poison. http://www.chp.edu/mryuk/05a_mryuk.php. One of our patrons was wearing him on his t-shirt.

She said he was everywhere up north, but I never saw him in Florida. We did have, however, some little lightening bolt guy who warned us of the dangers of flying kites near power lines. I suppose the logic is that in a warm climate you’re more likely to be outside accidentally killing yourself, while the kids in Pittsburg or Cleveland are cozy inside drinking poison.

Young coworker did not believe a kite entangled in power lines can kill you, as there would be nothing to conduct electricity. After all, you’re just holding a string. I suggested perhaps the act of trying to untangle your kite from power lines may be the source of the electrocution.
When I googled “kite safety” I came across a site with at least 50 safety tips, which is 48 more than I find necessary. I have to say my favorite is this one:

"Always be prepared for the worst. Fly your kite with the assumption that you will lose control and crash at anytime due to pilot error or equipment failure. With this mindset, you will ensure that your flying area and the immediate surroundings are free of people and the other dangerous circumstances mentioned above."

No, with this mindset you won’t want to look at a freakin’ kite, much less fly one.

However, I do find it sound relationship advice.

1 comment:

Sister said...

I saw Mr. Yuck growing up in my part of Florida. I also saw the commercials warning, "You never fly your kite near powerlines. Yeah, you gotta play it safe with electricity, gotta play it safe with electricity..."